Desert Stages Honored at the 2009-2010 National Youth Theatre Awards
Congratulations to DST Alumni Actor MAX CRUMM- Broadway's new "Danny" in Grease!
Scottsdale Desert Stages Actors Perform at Banner Children's Hospital
Scottsdale Desert Stages Theatre announces traveling performing group
Max Crumm visits Desert Stages Theatre; Broadway's "Danny Zuko" returns to his roots
Ice Cream Social Sundae and Gail O'Grady!
Desert Stages Honored at the National Youth Theatre Awards
Desert Stages Theatre was honored with 4 awards and 4 additional nominations from the 2008-2009 National Youth Theatre awards.
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Musical - Annie Jr. - Haley Johnson
- Outstanding Supporting Actor (13 & Under) - Seussical Jr. - EJ Dohring
- Outstanding Ensemble - The Butterfly's Day - Desert Stages Theatre
- Outstanding Set Design - The Butterfly's Day - Desert Stages Theatre
Additional Nominations include:
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical - Seussical Jr - Haley Johnson
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Musical - Seussical Jr. - Sierra Corbett
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Musical - Annie Jr. - Megan Mahoney
- Outstanding Ensemble - Annie - Desert Stages Theatre
The following DST Alumni were also recognized at this event:
- Winner - Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical - Aida - Jade Alexis Johnson
- Winner - Artist of the Year - Brian Wible
The awards ceremony was attended by many members of the DST family and was truely wonderful. DST actors even performed "Look Into Your Heart" from Gerry Cullity's A Butterfly's Day.
Ice Cream Social Sundae & Gail O'Grady
Desert Stages Theatre held an Ice Cream Social Sundae on June 14, 2009 to celebrate 5 years in our Downtown Scottsdale location. Adding to the celebration was a Gold and Silver Party, hosted by 3-time Emmy Nominated Actress, Gail O'Grady and Joe's Gold and Silver. Gail is best known for her performances on Desperate Housewives, American Dreams, NYPD Blues and Boston Legal. Shown above from left to right is Joe from Joe's Gold and Silver, Gail O'Grady, Laurie Cullity, KK Dubois and Terry Helland. The celebration also included entertainment by The Stone Walls, face painting by Jacqui Notorio and ice cream sundaes provided by Coco's and Shamrock Foods. Thanks to all of the many DST Volunteers who assisted in the festivities!
Max Crumm, winner of the NBC reality show "Grease: You're the One That We Want", returned to Desert Stages Theatre on May 30th, 2009 to pay a visit to the current cast of our Children's Theatre production of Grease. In 2007, Max was selected through a nationwide vote to portray Danny Zuko in the Broadway revival of Grease.
Max signed autographs and shared some of his DST memories with the kids. There was a raffle for an autographed Grease show poster, a professional photo session with Max and other items personalized by Max. Zack Green (above), winner of the photo session, plays Doody in the current production of Grease in the Children's Theatre.
Scottsdale Desert Stages Theatre has developed a community outreach troupe to represent the Theatre at various events and promotions around the Valley. They will perform an arrangement of songs from the 2008-2009 Season at various events and community outreach centers in the Phoenix Metro area. This troupe is the direct result of grant funding and consists of dedicated performers, a Musical Director and a Promotions Director. All aspects of the group will be supported by donations and grant funds for transportation and equipment to further these important outreach efforts.
Leading the troupe as the Musical Director is Terry Temple of Mesa. Others in the group are Barbara McBain of Scottsdale, Lindsey Mony of Scottsdale, Desiree Vaughan of Tempe, Sarah Ambrose of Glendale, Bransen Gates of Phoenix, E.J. Dohring of Phoenix and Elysha Nemeth of Scottsdale. Promotions Director is Bari Nemeth of Scottsdale.
Young actors from our production of "The Wizard of Oz" recently entertained young patients at Banner Children's Hospital at Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa . Children of all ages were delighted to see their favorite Oz characters come to life. Some young patients received a special visit in their hospital room by Dorothy (Desiree Vaughn) and Scarecrow (Tiffany Atkinson). Other patients came to the two lobby areas in wheelchairs and wagons--a few even got out of bed for the first time. A couple of young patients followed our actors around for all three performances. The event was a success, according to Banner Children's Child Life Coordinator Sue Eaton who said, " On behalf of our patients, families, and staff, thank you all so very much! What a wonderful gift." Performers included: Bill and Tiffany Atkinson, Desiree Vaughan, Sam MacDonald, Katie Rogers, Sara Berkowitz, Madeline Lewis, Shania Severs, Ben Massouras and Adrianne Sachs. Desert Stages is already planning a return visit to this wonderful facility.
DST Alum Max Crumm recently made a name for himself as the winning "Danny Zuko" in NBC's GREASE: You're The One That I Want --a reality-based series in which the public helped select the Danny and Sandy for the upcoming 2007 Broadway revival ofGrease . Max began his acting career at Desert Stages Theatre in 2000 as Linus in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown. His natural talent propelled his rise through various roles in Desert Stages Children's Theatre, including a Brother in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Thunderhead in In the Kingdom of Clouds, the Demon in The Butterfly's Day, Grinch in The Grinchand Prince Brandon in Cinderella . He also toured with this theatre's original health show. Tobacco: The Musical.
Desert Stages Theatre was honored with 7 awards and 7 additional nominations from the 2009-2010 National Youth Theatre awards.
- Lead Actor in a Musical - Peter Pan - David Buehrle
- Supporting Actress in a Musical - Aladdin Jr. - Alex Carter
- Supporting Actress in a Musical - The Ugly Duckling - Haley Cohn
- Supporting Actress in a Musical - Grease - Becca Courtney
- Supporting Actress Age 13 & Under - Peter Pan - Alana Doyle
- Ensemble - Peter Pan - Desert Stages Theatre
- Direction - Peter Pan - Tiffany Atkinson
Additional Nominations include:
- Lead Actress in a Musical - Peter Pan - Melanie Heredia
- Lead Actress in a Musical - Peter Pan - Emily Stevens
- Lead Actress in a Musical - Grease - Devon Lewno
- Supporting Actor in a Musical - Aladdin Jr. - Nathan Beard
- Supporting Actor in a Musical - Peter Pan - Sam MacDonald
- Supporting Actor Age 13 & Under - Peter Pan - Cade Frankson
- Outstanding Ensemble - Grease - Desert Stages Theatre
The awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, September 21 at 7:30 pm at Valley Youth Theatre. RSVP by clicking here.